The club was originally formed in 1897 and played under the name of Tebay United FC and was one of the founder members of the Westmorland Football Association League.
The club ceased during the Second World War. At that time all the players in the team lived in the village and most of them worked on the railway.
After the war in the late forties a group of people decided to reform the club and change the name to Lunesdale United FC to enable them to recruit players from the surrounding villages in the Lune valley area. During that time the club played on four different pitches using the farmers’ buildings as changing rooms and big tin baths to wash in.
When the club moved to the field we currently play on we acquired a pre-fab building and converted it into changing rooms, still using the big tin baths until when we managed to raise enough funds to install showers.
Then, in April 2007 we managed to raise enough funds to buy the field from a local farmer Mr Maurice Capstick and named the ground “Maurice Park” in his honour for being a loyal supporter of the club both boy and man.
We are affiliated to the Westmorland County Football Association and compete in the James Cropper Westmorland Association Football League – Division 3
|Cup Competitions and Championships||Year||Year||Year||Year|
|League Division 2 Champions||1935/1936|
|League Division 3 Champions||1986/1987|
|League Division 4 Champions||2005/2006|
|Junior Cup Winners||1976||1999/2000|
|Merit Cup Winners||1999/2000||2005/2006|
|Mason & Freeman Cup Winners||1958/1959||1976/1977||1988/1989|
|County Senior Cup Winners||1927|
Tebay Utd 2
|County Senior Cup Runners Up||1922|
Staveley Utd 3
Tebay Utd 0
Tebay Utd 2
Tebay Utd 2
Tebay Utd 1
|Westmorland League Shield Winners||1924/1925|
|Westmorland Hospital Cup Winners||1937|
|Austen Wren Trophy|
Esthwaite Vale 1
LUFC Res 2
|Austen Wren Trophy Runners Up||2011|
Eden Thistle 3
LUFC Res 1
|Peter Dawes Memorial Trophy Winners||2017/2018|
A bit about the village of Tebay……………
Then in 1760 the building of a turnpike brought increased trade, and when the railway came in 1846 this went up another notch especially with the construction of a station, engine sheds and marshalling yards. It was also the home base for steam engines that supplied the extra power needed to climb to Shap summit. This all died with the ‘Beeching axe’ in 1968.
This is one of the reasons why Tebay is also known as “Spike Island”
The Village is surrounded by the beautiful Howgill Fells, a series of magnificent open hills, providing some of the most spectacular scenery in the North of England and is located between both the Lake District & Yorkshire Dales National Parks.
The River Lune flows alongside Tebay passing Castle Howe and the old Roman Fort near Low Borrowbridge before finally reaching the Irish Sea at Plover Scar near Lancaster a total journey of about 53 miles
For those of you who don’t know, The River Lune begins as a stream at Newbiggin in the parish of Ravenstonedale at St. Helen’s Well. On the first two miles of its course, it is joined by four streams. These are the Bessy Beck and the Dry Beck, the Sandwath Beck and the Weasdale Beck.